Walk A Mile - YOUR Style
YOUR Walk. YOUR People. YOUR Support. YOUR Impact.
- Gather your family, friends, coworkers, and employees and walk in the community, decked out in pink, to end gender-based violence in Niagara.
- Register your walk on a “virtual” map.
- Teams are encouraged to help spread awareness about gender-based violence and compete for the best pink-decorated house/business in October.
- Saturday October 16, 2021
- A virtual community walk
- 11:30 am
- Opening ceremonies via Facebook Live
- 12:00 pm
- Teams take to the streets to Walk a Mile
- 1:00 pm
- Closing ceremonies via Facebook Live
Violence and Abuse in Ontario
Violence continues to be the greatest gender inequality rights issue for women, girls and gender-diverse individuals. 1 in 3 women will experience gender-based violence in their lifetime and these numbers increase exponentially for Black, Indigenous and Women of Colour. Supports are available across Ontario to provide assistance to survivors of gender-based violence and their children 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Over the last year in Ontario, femicide rates have increased substantially. Every life lost to gender-based violence is one too many. Recommendations such as those from Ontario’s Domestic Violence Death Review Committee identify the actions that can be taken by professionals, community members, government ministries, services and systems to prevent femicide tragedies. Make a commitment today to take action to address femicide in your community and beyond:
- Talking with those close to you about how shelters in your community play an essential role for survivor safety through their programs and services and continue to have services available throughout the pandemic.
- Contacting our municipal, provincial and federal politicians to let them know you want them to take action to end gender-based violence through commitments and planning at all levels of government.
- Connecting with Gillian's Place about how you can support our services.
- Attending a flag raising in our community, date to be determined. Post and share photos and videos of Wrapped in Courage flags across Ontario!
- On November 25th Be Sure to Wear or Display A Purple Scarf or Bracelet in Support of Survivors of Gender-Based Violence and post with the hashtag #WrappedinCourage to your social media accounts!
Thank you for your continued support of gender-based violence survivors across Niagara.